Quiet Mind Meditation

This is a quiet space .. designed to inspire, nurture and support your meditation practice so that you might find your own quiet mind

Wednesday 13 November 2013

Wandering in Meditation


Last Sunday in our meditation class we explored "Just Being" .. letting go of our meditation technique and just being .. with the moment .. with our experience.

A meditation technique gives our mind something to focus on, and by nature requires a little effort; so that when we get distracted or lost in a thought we know to gently and kindly return to our technique.  We may return once or a million times.  We are learning focus and concentration = stability of mind.

There is also great value in having some time in the Open Field of non-doing or just being .. dropping into the spaciousness of the moment and allowing our mind to roam, wander, shout, sing and exhaust itself .. knowing wisely that in time all will quieten.

Spending a little time in this Open Field whenever we meditate will over time build a greater awareness of what is going on in your mind and body.  A sensitivity to the 'you' that wants to control attention and a greater capacity to be present with whatever arises.  

Just being with whatever occurs helps us develop a greater tolerance to distractions, an ability to stay with those emotional states or sensations that arise .. and more interested and skilled in exploring our experience in the present moment.

Shall I share where my mind went during our Just Being practice?  I thought about how tired I was (realising afterwards that I had not been getting enough sleep the past week), how hungry I was (I had skipped lunch), how I loved my daughter (sweet, intense) and a great blog post to write (creativity) .. once I saw these distractions they tended to dissolve and I was still again.

Interesting isn't it.  Taking a moment to write down what caught your attention can also be insightful .. or just interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...