Quiet Mind Meditation

This is a quiet space .. designed to inspire, nurture and support your meditation practice so that you might find your own quiet mind

Thursday 19 January 2012

Buddha Standard Time

[Picture : Dream Filled Photography]

Funny how everyone always laments 'lack of time' .. especially when we hope/wish/intend to do something worthwhile and good for us .. yet .. never .. quite .. find .. enough .. time ... where does it go?

One book I pre-ordered for my summer reading list 2012 is Buddha Standard Time by Lama Surya Das (one of my favourite writers and inspirational teachers .. perhaps I should attest to a slight obsession for his books, they fill my bookcase, I give copies a gifts, I read late at night when I can't sleep or need clarification .. ).

"In Buddha Standards Time you will come to realize that, in spite of your hectic days you have much more time than you think.  In fact, you have all the time in the world".

I am only part way through the book .. as I am trying to relish rather than digest .. and I make a few notes, take time for a few practices, think/reflect a little.

".. you will learn to synchronize with the rhythms and cycles of nature, including your own mind and body, cells and tissues, and neural pathways.  You will learn how to slow down or accelarate time, to have richer relationships, a more productive work life, and much less stress".

Many of the meditative exercises (or as Lama Das calls them 'Mindful Moments' exercises) are simple, brief practices that allow us to pause and refresh .. I LOVE these practices and always include these in any meditation instruction that I give.  Not everyone can find the time for a more traditional meditation practice .. but we can all find moments!  I have included one such exercise below .. try it .. right now .. go on .. I dare you!

Breathing Fire

Take a deep breath,
entirely filling your lower belly ..
and then release the breath with a huge whoosh of relief.
Rapidly repeat this breath of fire seven times,
or even twenty-one times, harmonizing your midna nd body  and energy.
And then let your breath settle naturally,
allowing the gentle tide of breathing to wash in and out
through your being; relax entirely
and just be.

(From Buddha Standard Time by Lama Surya Das)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...