Quiet Mind Meditation

This is a quiet space .. designed to inspire, nurture and support your meditation practice so that you might find your own quiet mind

Tuesday 13 January 2015

Reading, Learning, Diving In


A big box arrived today ..

I gave myself a little Summer gift this year .. a selection of books that have been sitting on my Amazon Wishlist for months and months (and truly months).  I have missed curling up in the sunshine and delving into a good book, and it is vital that we continue to nourish our passions (ie. meditation) so .. do you want to know a little about the books I selected for my reading of choice over the next few months? (listed from the top of the pile, down)

Making Space: Creating a Home Meditation Practice 
Thich Nhat Hanh
I am an avid collector of all resources prepared so lovingly by Thich Nhat Hanh and know this little book will hold a wealth of wisdom.  As I am currently writing an E-Book guide to creating a home retreat, I hope to gain some greater insight from the Master Zen Buddhist monk.  

The Art of Stillness: Adventures in Going Nowhere 
Pico Iyer
I was so excited to hear about this book because I have read many of Pico's articles over the years as a leading contributor to Shambala Sun and you can listened to him via the TED talk The Art of Stillness

Real Happiness at Work; Meditations for Accomplishment, Achievement, and Peace 
Sharon Salzberg
I have a library of Sharon Salzberg books .. I first read her writing when I was a teenager.  As I now focus on taking meditation into the corporate sector, I was keen to hear her talk about 'managing stresses at work and being creative, fulfilled and successful along the way'.

My Stoke of Insight
Jill Bolte Taylor Ph.D.
I refer to the brilliant TED talk by Jill Bolte Taylor in ALL of my classes .. because her story is inspiring and insightful.  I have been meaning to purchase this book for years, and now it is mine!

E-Squared
Pam Grout
Last year all I seemed to hear about was this book .. a magical introduction to energy experiments that 'prove your thoughts create your reality'. I am about to test it out now for myself.

Thrive 
Arianna Huffington
'The Third metric to redefining success and creating a life of well-being, wisdom, and wonder'.  Arianna is the cofounder, president and editor in chief of the Huffington Post Media Group .. and in recent years she has been actively talking about meditation after a health scare.

Art of Attention
Elena Brower and Erica Jago
I watched this book unfold via the internet some years ago and was mesmerised by the evocative photography and the passion of those involved.  An inspirational guide to the ancient practice of yoga.

*As I progress through the books (probably dipping in and out of each) I shall be sure to share some of the lessons learnt here on the blog*

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.” 
― Dr. Seuss, I Can Read With My Eyes Shut! 

AND .. the beautiful Phalaenopsis Orchid was a gift from my best friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...