Quiet Mind Meditation

This is a quiet space .. designed to inspire, nurture and support your meditation practice so that you might find your own quiet mind

Thursday 21 August 2014

Releasing the shoulders


I sit too much. 

I sit to meditate twice a day and then some (ie meditation classes most days of the week). 

I sit to write, blog, work on my newsletter and website. 


So I am very acquainted with the knot of tension that I hold between my shoulder blades .. an area where many of us habitually hold some tension and tightness. I first 'met' my shoulder tension when I started meditating more than 20 years ago ..

and bless her, she is with me still .. 

But there is no excuse for my not addressing the daily accumulation of tightness that is a product of being hunched over my desk and computer - and this is one exercise that I find MAGICAL for releasing and stretching the middle back area. A modified version of the yogic posture - Garudasana (Eagle Pose) gah-rue-DAHS-anna(Garuda the mythic 'king of the birds').



  • Sit tall in your chair; sitting on the end third of the chair so you are forced to be upright (no slouching)
  • Take a slower, deeper breath; taking a moment to truly enjoy your breath
  • On your next inhalation ~ reach your arms straight out in front of you, giving them an opportunity to just stretch out a little  
  • As you exhale give yourself a hug ~ wrapping your arms around your body, right arm under left arm
  • Inhale into the hug
  • Exhale and bring your hands up toward the ceiling .. so that the left elbow rests in the right elbow .. the arms entwined, turning your hands so that the palms face 
  • Gently and slowly raise both arms to around chest height (or where comfortable)
  • Inhale and exhale three times ~ relaxing deeper and deeper into the stretch
  • Then repeat with the left arm under the right.

  • Enjoy!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...