Quiet Mind Meditation

This is a quiet space .. designed to inspire, nurture and support your meditation practice so that you might find your own quiet mind

Monday 16 June 2014

Rumi - The Guesthouse


The Guesthouse - Rumi


This being human is guesthouse
Every morning a new arrival.
A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor. 

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they are a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house empty
of it's furniture, still treat each guest
honorably. 

He may be clearing you out for some new delight.
The dark thought, the shame, the malice, meet them
at the door laughing, and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes, 
because each has been sent as a guide from beyond.

xx I love Rumi xx

2 comments:

  1. I am quite freaked out Sarah.

    I just finished writing my quote-ching blog post for tomorrow and used Rumi's guesthouse poem as the topic!

    I then went through my nightly ritual of kicking back with a cup of herbal and reading all my fave blogs.

    Can you imagine my face when I saw your post! How weird...

    I love this poem so much.

    How funny....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Rimi too! I'm going to use this as a writing prompt for my young students. Perhaps we'll write about the feelings that come knocking on our door! Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...