Quiet Mind Meditation

This is a quiet space .. designed to inspire, nurture and support your meditation practice so that you might find your own quiet mind

Thursday 24 May 2012

Children and meditation

Photographer : Ben Bloom

This morning I woke to hear a report on the Today Show about parents seeking our yoga and meditation to assist their children in managing stress.  Wonderful to hear Karl championing the cause .. and of course children can benefit from both meditation and yoga practice!

My daughter first joined me in my meditation practice when she learnt to climb out of her cot (she was about 2yo) and found me sitting on my  meditation cushion in the living room .. quiet and still.  Rather a talkative child with a passion for asking questions (still) on this occassion she didn't prod me (or jump on me for that matter) but instead pressed herself into my lap and sat patiently.  I opened the blanket I had around my shoulders and wrapped it around her too .. together we sat quietly for a few minutes before I finished my practice and we got on with our day. 

She would often join me.  She didn't ask for a long time what in fact I was doing.  I like to think that she intuitively acknowledged this was quiet time and enjoyed the moments we spent together in the darkness before the busyness of our day began.

When my daughter was about nine, I enrolled her in a kids yoga class.  I knew the teacher and the centre and thought it was a brilliant idea for a child growing quickly (physically) .. an opportunity to connect body and mind, build focus and awareness, flexibility and strength .. she loved it!  The class was very dynamic and they expended lots of energy (it's not all sitting), explored stillness (externally and internally), coloured in mandalas and chanted Om.  She dragged along friends from school and became known as a little bit of a hippie.

In 2009 I completed training with Relax Kids .. an amazing program that incorporates movement and stillness for children starting at pre-school level and now expanded up to seniors.  Relax Kids offers a wealth of research and resources on their website, and have implemented a range of innovative programs into the British education system.

When is the right time?  how long is a piece of string! 

My daily meditation practice provided a rhythmn in our household that my daughter took to naturally include her, if she chose.  Children have a limited attention span and asking a child to sit for a half hour meditation practice is probaly inviting resistence.  I like Deepak Chopra's suggestion that you start with a minute for each year of age .. a three year old could start with a three minute meditation .. a twelve year old would have worked up to twleve minutes.  Slow and steady .. there is no race or finish line .. this is the development of a life skill!

Meditation is a joy .. learning about yourself, resting in that deep stillness within, building resilience and focus, simply being present to the moment .. and everyone can learn to meditate including children!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...