Quiet Mind Meditation

This is a quiet space .. designed to inspire, nurture and support your meditation practice so that you might find your own quiet mind

Thursday 2 January 2014

Meditation in the Summer media


It takes me a few days .. but there comes a time when I am on holiday that finally both mind and the body have slowed enough to enjoy reading a few magazines on the beach.

Today I dropped past the local Op. Shop to see what other 'holiday makers' had finished reading on their holiday, and walked away with three current edition magazines for $1.50.  Can't beat that!

In Good Health magazine I read about TV presenter Jessica Rowe's experiences with depression and how mindfulness keeps her sane:

"My therapist has also introduced me to mindfulness, which I'm still learning.  It's fabulous - it's not airy-fairy, it's a very straightforward thing to help calm yourself down.  I found it very useful to realise that you can change your mind and you can change the way you think about things".

"Mindfulness is something you can incorporate in your everyday life by breathing or just stopping for a few moments.  It's doable if I'm at home I just sit down and close my eyes and focus on my breathing for 20 seconds and calm myself down like that.  Or if I'm walking around I will look at a beautiful tree and notice how green it is.  It's those sorts of simple things that help bring you back to the present."

And in the Cleo magazine article "21 ways to be happier RIGHT NOW" .. the first tip is:

Find your inner peace.  Meditation has been found to lower blood pressure and reduce stress, and stacks of research from Harvard University shows that people who meditate regularly are happier than those who don't.  One suggestion from Siimon Reynolds is to choose a simple word, such as calm, love or peace, and repeat that word to yourself - either aloud or in your head - for 10 to 20 minutes.  Thoughts popping into your head?  Don't engage them - just disregard and return to your repetition.

I love how the ancient practice of meditation is hitting the mainstream media now .. and I hope you also find some inspiration in these simple tips. 

If you would like to learn more about meditation (and start your own regular meditation practice) we have classes starting in February and our online Meditation E-Course has just started (you can join at any time).  More details on our Class or E-Course page.  Or email me if you have any questions sarah@quietmind.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...