Quiet Mind Meditation

This is a quiet space .. designed to inspire, nurture and support your meditation practice so that you might find your own quiet mind

Wednesday 25 November 2009

Namaste


Often at the end of my meditation class I will finish with 'Namaste'. I love this word and I love its meaning and the feeling of oneness it invokes when I openly and deeply extend it to others.

Namaste is a common greeting in South Asia, but you are unlikely to hear it in Australia unless you attend a well-rounded yoga class! Derived from the Sanskrit, namas means reverential “bow” and te "to you" .. I bow to you! It is a simple and beautiful sign of respect and gratitude .. to each other, to our teachers, to the path we walk. It represents the belief that there is a Divine spark within each of us. We are acknowledging that we are witness to the soul of another, and aware that our souls are part of a greater 'oneness'.

Usually the greeting is accompanied by a slight bow made with the hands pressed together, palms together and fingers pointed upwards .. in yoga this is a gesture known as Anjali Mudra and you can perform just the gesture (without the word) still extending the same meaning.

There are many beautiful and poetic interpretations of Namaste ..

* I honor the spirit in you .. which is also in me
* I honor the place in you in which the entire Universe dwells, I honor the place in you which is of Love, of Integrity, of Widsom and of Peace. When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are One.

I think in the West our modern lives are often bereft of ritual .. and yet there is something so very magical and empowering in ritual. I encourage people to establish some personal rituals around their meditation, or other parts of their life .. and I shall continue to embrace this beautiful greeting .. join me!
Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...